Advising Businesses About Environmental Law Risks
As environmental counsel to small and midsize companies throughout California, the attorneys at Tropea McMillan, LLP, help our clients identify, assess and avoid regulatory and litigation risks in their business operations.
We Can Be Your Environmental Counsel
Our advisory role for many companies can be characterized as environmental general counsel. We advise and represent manufacturers, property developers, transfer and trucking companies, agribusinesses and even retailers such as dry cleaners, auto dealerships and gas stations. We counsel them about managing the environmental risks of their daily operations and advise them on any special projects or transactions.
We also advise clients on matters such as the following:
- Addressing environmental liability concerns property owners may have on dry cleaner contamination issues
- Land use and zoning issues
- Licenses and permits for the use or disposal of hazardous chemicals and other substances
- New construction that requires environmental review or an environmental impact report or statement under state or federal law
- Due diligence on brownfields or Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) liability issues in real estate transactions
- Insurance coverage issues involving losses or liability for pollution or toxic torts
- Environmental implications of water rights transactions
- Resolving regulatory or compliance issues involving the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA), the California Department of Toxic Substances Control, local air quality protection boards or any other agency with enforcement authority
If the operations or transactions associated with your business come with environmental risk, working with an experienced attorney is crucial. Our law firm can help you identify and assess those risks to find a cost-effective way of dealing with them.
State And Federal Environmental Litigation Attorneys On Your Side
Our attorneys have represented private businesses, major corporations, citizens’ groups, state agencies, municipalities and public commissions on the full range of environmental litigation issues. Examples of our environmental litigation practice include these recurrent problems:
- Private remediation cost recovery actions through Superfund, or lawsuits under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) or state environmental clean-up legislation
- Property owners or dry cleaners facing lawsuits due to spills, contamination, pollution or more related to dry cleaning and heavily regulated cleaning solvents
- Actions for declaratory or injunctive relief on issues involving standing, federal preemption, jurisdiction, insurance coverage or successor liability
- Challenges to the sufficiency of an environmental impact statement or report
- Citizen opposition to major projects or developments under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) or the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
- Administrative disputes over environmental permits, including denial or conditions
- Penalty reduction negotiations in regulatory enforcement proceedings
If you or your company anticipates a civil lawsuit to resolve an issue of liability or damages concerning any environmental problem, we can help.
Reduce Your Environmental Risks – Contact Us Today
Our experienced attorneys understand the risks you and your business potential face, and we will do what it takes to help you avoid those unnecessary legal risks. We have the resources and knowledge to advise and counsel you through all your environmental matters. Don’t risk it – call us at 866-780-4903 or send us an email.